WELLNESS AN LIFESTYLE
Wellness is not merely absence of disease, rather a dynamic state of complete physical, mental and social well-being. It is a conscious effort of making best choices for a healthy and fulfilling life. Lifestyle is a way of living and includes interests, behaviours, and opinions of an individual towards life. Healthy lifestyle is the key to a flourishing and wholesome life.
Healthy lifestyle doesn’t mean spending hours in a gym exercising or surviving only on fruits and salads. It involves easily manageable health choices which can be incorporated into daily routine.
- Exercising at least 30 minutes daily is the foremost choice to keep body healthy, working and minimise diseases. It enhances strength and endurance, delays age-related health changes and maintains youthful look.
- Take at least one serving of fresh fruits and vegetables daily. Make your plate colourful with a variety of fruits and veggies. They are rich source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Keep yourself hydrated by taking not less than 2-3 litres of water per day. It maintains kidney function, detoxifies body, promotes weight loss, increases energy and relieves fatigue.
- Break your habit of having fried, processed and sugary food. Instead, choose lean meat, beans, tofu, whole grains (whole wheat bread, brown rice, whole wheat pasta) and skim milk.
- As far as possible, choose organic foods as they are more nutritious, eco-friendly and free of pesticides.
Cut down addictions
Smoking is the leading cause of a number of cancers and lung diseases. Alcohol consumption generates free radicals that have toxic effect on liver and heart. Quit smoking by visiting your nearest de-addiction centre and consume alcohol in moderation (1-2 pegs thrice a week), if unable to quit.
Get at the minimum 7-8 hours of sleep per night and engage yourself in activities like yoga, meditation. Practising yoga and meditation improves strength, relaxes mind, relieves stress and anxiety, sharpens intellects and strengthens immune system.
Monitor health parameters
Monitor vital health parameters by using variety of wearables available in health care market such as fitness bands, BMI scale, Bluetooth blood pressure and glucose monitors. Self-tailored goals can be set and achieved using these devices. Attaining desired goals gives positive re-enforcement to an individual. Maintain a diary of your health activities like daily exercise, steps walked, weight loss etc. In addition, do visit your physician once a year for various body function tests such as blood cholesterol level, liver function test, kidney function test, complete blood count. Getting your tests done identifies a disease in its initial stage, thus, preventing adverse consequences.
Therefore, wellness is a choice and includes adopting a healthy lifestyle, moving daily, eating healthy, cutting sweets, getting enough sleep and last but not the least keeping a track of activities. Make a change in your daily living and take a step towards a healthy and hearty life.